thubby

The experience of one woman climbing out of the food gutter.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

To Weigh Or Not To Weigh

Back in January i decided to 'drop the scale' and stop weighing because it had become too frustrating to be working as hard as i am to eat healthy (with the ultimate aim of reduction) and exercise regularly and not see any downward movement in the scale. I was finding the plateau de-motivating (to say the least) and on friday mornings when i'd jump on that scale only to see it say the same number, i'd find myself thinking well maybe i'll just have a 'free day', in which i stick to my three meals, two snacks foodplan, but not as closely restrict my food choices. Instead of a chicken breast and salad for lunch, it might be a burger and salad for lunch. It certainly took the pressure off, and my exercise routine hasn't wavered one bit. My food, however, had gotten a little messy. I guess that's to be expected when one doesn't have a functional kitchen and is eating about 50% of their meals out, but nonetheless the reno is over and it's time to get back to normal healthy eating. I've been back on the veggie wagon happily for the last two weeks, and for me, while i've cleaned up the foodplan, the weighing/not weighing, and more improtantly the reasons why i'm not weighing, have been bothering me.

There is an accountability that comes with weighing every week, that i am starting to miss. I have been wondering how much weight i've actually gained in the past 6 weeks, while i've been allowing myself higher calorie options. I think i've succeeded in breaking through my plateau, but unfortunately i think the movement in the scale will be upward, not downward. Actually, i'm sure of it, the only question is how much damage have i done?

So, i am going to weigh myself tomorrow and face the music. I will check in here about the results, good, bad or ugly (more accountability = good). I have also been inspired by Nicole over at AFW, who seems to be in a similar place to mine. I relate a lot to the stressful circumstances in her life, and though mine are different I still feel they have been a factor in my not being able to focus on my health recovery plan. I am not looking for excuses here, but i feel like it's not possible to put the focus of one's time and energy in too many different places. In the face of the usual stresses of work, making time for my partner and myself to relax, getting to the gym, and eating healthily while my kitchen was under construction something had to go, and for me, it was the focus on (and ability to prepare) healthy meals. I'm a little nervous, but I also feel good that i'm coming out of hiding on this, which is what it feels like i have been doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home