thubby

The experience of one woman climbing out of the food gutter.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Choices and Consequences

Even though I don’t feel like I fell off of any wagons over Christmas, the “New Year” makes it feel like we’re all climbing back aboard one.

Last week, I was missing the safety of my routine. There’s a real safety around food in the very structured Monday to Friday type life I lead. Every day I get up at 5:45, eat my portable breakfast on the subway, work out for an hour, go to work, get home at 6, prepare (or order) a healthy dinner and think about getting workout stuff and healthy food together for the next day. There’s tv-watching in there most nights, to decompress, and sometimes my partner and I will get energetic and do something, but not very often. When I’m not working I don’t usually go to the gym, preparing a more time intensive breakfast is an option, and generally there more time in which to get bored or participate in an activity which leads me to thinking about food. So, last week I was ‘white knuckling’ over food I craved (but didn’t really want to eat). It was everywhere. I really missed being in my routine, which affords me a certain safety around appropriate eating behaviours which are conducive to weight loss. When I am at work I have conditioned myself to view snacks (other than fruit) as inappropriate and simply not part of my day. It took me a long time to get here, but the reward was worth it. That's one of the big reasons that being at work feels "safe" on the food front.

Because I didn’t work out over the holidays (aside from a long Christmas day walk with the dogs, and lots of home renovation-related exercise) I’m worried that I’m going to be up in weight (I’ll let you know that on Friday, because that’s my weigh day…). I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The other thing I did differently over the holidays was that we ate out quite a bit more than we normally do. I love eating out, and did so as healthily as possible, but I think part of the attraction is that the food tastes better and there’s no mystery to why that is- restaurants use as much fat/oil/butter as it takes to make food taste good, and when I cook I completely minimize the use of those substances.

I know it’s choices and consequences here- I made the choices, and weight-consistency or weight-gain will be the consequence. I really wish my inner baby would stop whingeing about it in my head though (“but I’ve been so good for so long! It’s not fair!). I will suck it up and keep going because really, are there any other options?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home