thubby

The experience of one woman climbing out of the food gutter.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

How Much Is Too Much?

Since the summer, i've been trying to get to the gym 5 days a week. My gym is a block away from work, and i'm in the routine now of commuting downtown in my workout clothes, working out and then showering and getting ready for work at the gym. Some days are easier than others and there have been rare occasions that i have only made it four times, but mostly i'm consistent.

This is the most committed i have ever been to an exercise program, and the most consistently i have worked out ever. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays i do between 35 and 45 minutes of cardio on the cross-trainer (eliptical thingy). On Tuesdays and Thursdays i do 30 minutes on the bike and then strength training. I think this program in inherently reasonable. I've read in a number of places that really i should be doing 45-60 minutes of cardio, but that is too much for *me*. I do find it hard to go every weekday, but i feel like it's important for me on a number of levels.

First, i have completely shagged up my metabolism with periods of extreme restriction followed by periods of extreme over-eating. As a result, i have a very slow metabolism and it is extremely difficult for me to lose weight, and almost impossible through diet alone.

Secondly, i have the recent-ish diagnosis of diabetes (Type 2). While i feel as healthy/unhealthy as i ever did, i am pretty afraid of some of the consequences for diabetics who don't take care of themselves, particularly amputation. This one scares me enough to get to the gym and rev both my metabolism and more importantly my circulation.

Thirdly, it's easier for me to do something all the time, than sometimes. When i only go a couple of times a week i like the extra sleep i get so much, that usually i end up struggling to get there at all.

What really spurred on the thoughts about this were some thoughts that have been expressed to me lately that i am over-exercising, perhaps even *complusively*. To me, this is almost laughable, because i know what a struggle it has been to get to this place of consistency, and i would love any excuse to stop. Nonetheless, i am still at least 100 pounds overweight and diabetic so really i think i need to be there regularly.

This week i'm going to take thursday off and try to get some activity in on the weekend, and see how that feels. I think what i'm doing still falls well within the sensible range, but i respect the folks who think i may be over-doing it, so i want to at least consider their view. But i am thinking about how much is too much, as it relates to both food and exercise. Too much food is what got me here, and i am optimistic that enough exercise can get me back to healthy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home